Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Moroccan Israeli Fashionista :: Shana Emily

Shana Emily is one of our trendsetters at Mode Republic! Let’s learn more about her.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Hi everyone! My name is Shana Emily Kilbourn formerly Dahan. I am a Moroccan Israeli girl, born and raised in Las Vegas, NV. Growing up I was a dancer of classical ballet, jazz and hip hop. I have been married for 5 years to the love of my life.

photo

I studied theatre, dance, music (played the Viola), public relations and psychology in school… unfoooooortunately the dance, theater and music did not qualify as a degree, so I graduated with a degree in communications with an emphasis in public relations and a minor in psychology.

Currently, I’m a Show Girl at Jubilee on the Las Vegas Strip. Currently, I’m an employee benefits broker for one of the largest insurance brokerages in Nevada, Orgill/Singer & Associates. I help businesses implement employee benefits, educate their employees and act as an advocate on their behalf.

photo

How did you become interested in fashion?
I remember playing in my mother and grandmother’s closet as a child trying on hats and jewelry from all over the world. My father was a photographer and my sister and I used to model for him wearing some of our favorite thrifted finds and handmade dresses.

Nana, my grandmother, was a beautiful eccentric woman working as a seamstress in Morocco. My mother was a registered nurse in Israel and worked in a button factory as a child.

When moving to America, my family had very little, and fabric stores and thrift stores like the Salvation Army became our favorite places to go. With almost all of our clothes handmade, I quickly learned what fabrics I liked. My mom was fearless and so confident. She loved bright bold colors and was so inspiring in so many ways. She had a unique style and expressed herself through fashion.

photo

What inspired you to start your own blog?
My mom passed away almost four years ago and I found myself in a very quiet place. I wasn’t inspired. I was having a hard time sleeping and I found myself on the internet one night…I am not sure how I came across my first blog but I found myself crying in front of the computer…reading blog after blog.. I immediately logged on to Blogger the next day, created my profile, and began writing. I couldn’t stop writing, and then I started posting pictures of my family and of my mom. I was a maniac; I could not wait to see what everyone was wearing, how they were doing, and where they were from…. I would run home and rummage through my closet, inevitably finding items that inspired me. I would look through some of my mother’s bags, and clothes and then I began to blog about them. One of my best friends Edwina aka “Photographer Extraordinaire” began taking pictures of me to post every day. Everyone was so complementary and supportive…and that is how Colorblind was born. I had been “colorblind” for several years, not in the literal sense, but I found myself wearing only blacks, greys, and browns. I hadn’t noticed it until I began blogging about fashion; it’s amazing how what you wear can reflect how you feel.

photo

What are your dreams and aspirations?
Ughhh this is such a hard question… I have so many dreams and aspirations…I feel like at 31 years old…yeah…I’m old…I am finally living some of my dreams!

I always dreamt of falling in love and having a family, while labs and cats aren’t children they are certainly our babies for now. I would love to write for a style magazine and share ideas and inspirations on a budget… or host my own show interviewing different boutiques and designers in town, sharing with everyone the new hot spots and trends. I want to be a movie star playing opposite Ryan Gosling (hubby doesn’t know about that one). I am an avid thrifter and sale finder and I dream of owning my own boutique where I can share my finds with the world. I want to hold Thrifters Anonymous meetings every week where other addicts can share their finds and swap with other fashionistas… …oh I could go on and on…

Thank you Mode Republic for making one of my dreams come true…sharing with everyone my addiction to thrifting and eclectic style!

photo

How would you describe your style? What’s your favorite look at this moment?
I used to think I had a specific style until I started blogging. I definitely tend to gravitate towards richer fabrics, lace, silk, velvet and vintage items. I love anything edgy, classic, and often times awkward and unique. I am in love with old things “Oskie Woskies” buttons, sequins, pleats, and bows. Shapes intrigue me and sizes are only a means of inspiration.

My favorite looks at the moment include a lot of pattern mixture, but one of my favorites comes in a long dress preferably below the knee. Whether it is stripes or bold colors I am drawn to the lines and the details. This blue dress I found at Savers for only $4.99 is one of my favorites!

photo

Where do you get your fashion inspirations?
My mom’s favorite items give me inspiration as I make them my own. Like most, I am always looking through magazines but my love for thrift stores is what really gives me inspiration. With so many styles, colors, fabrics, and patterns, it is so easy to get inspired when you are hunting through the racks of clothes. Sometimes I get inspired by accident and sometimes I inspire myself…who would have thought!!!

photo

Where do you shop? What are your favorite brands?
Well, I would say I spend most of my time shopping at thrift stores or discount stores. Savers, Goodwill, Salvation Army, and most recently Dinosaurs and Roses here in Vegas are my favorite. I love Marshalls and will often times leave with 3 or 4 pairs of shoes, H&M has great sales and cute jewelry as does F21. As far as brands go, vintage pieces are my favorite but I LOVE BCBG, Anthropologie, Betsy Johnson, Michael Kors, Steve Madden, Jessica Simpson , Banana Republic, JCrew, ModCloth, and most recently Ruche online. Can’t wait to style some of the items I just recently won! I will be posting them to Mode Republic..I love you guys!

photo

Congratulations again to Shana Emily for becoming the Mode Republic trendsetter! the contest. Stay tuned for more fashion inspirations from Shana Emily!

No comments:

Post a Comment