Monday, December 13, 2010

Lavilleinconnue :: Carys

Lavilleinconnue is the winner of the Color Magic Contest! Let’s learn more about her.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Carys, I am in my last year of sixth form, studying psychology, philosophy and French. I have lived in London my entire life, but my family is Welsh (that's where my 'unusual' name comes from).

photo

How did you become interested in fashion?
When I was 15, I developed a total love of 1930s music (especially Edith Piaf), and became interested in the culture and fashion of the era too. I started wearing 1930s-inspired clothes, and I found that old-fashion styles really suited me. I also loved standing out and looking different from everyone else, so I started exploring different eras, and it just developed from there.

photo

What inspired you to start your own blog?
I used to want to be an actress more than anything, and then suddenly for no reason in the middle of a psychology lesson I decided that I didn't want to go to drama school anymore, I wanted to own a little vintage boutique in Paris. I decided to start a blog firstly to document the change I was making in my life, secondly to help establish myself as a vintage seller, and thirdly because I needed some sort of creative outlet.

I didn't realise that there was a massive vintage community online until this year, it was so nice to discover that there were other people walking around looking like they belong in a period drama.

photo

What are your dreams and aspirations?
Right now, I am really hoping to go on a three-week fashion design course in Paris at the end of this summer, and in the future I want to own a shop (hopefully in France) of vintage or vintage-reproduction clothing.

photo

How would you describe your style? What’s your favorite look at this moment?
I have a totally short attention span when it comes to clothes, and I'm very indecisive too. I always decide I hate a particular era, then within a week it will have become my favorite. I have been really into mod and teddy girl styles recently, two of my previous least favorites, I think it's something to do with my new pixie cut. My favorite outfit this week though would have to be a 1950s-style one, which I loved because I managed to make leggings look vintage-a rather impressive achievement, if I may say so myself.

photo

Where do you get your fashion inspirations?
I get my inspiration from all sorts of places, but my favorite source is vintage photographs of real women. Films are a great source too, but they tend to show glamorous, unrealistic ideals of what people wore, rather than the genuine styles of the time. Since I joined the blogging community, my style has developed and changed so much, and I've been so influenced by the amazing outfits bloggers put together.

photo

Where do you shop? What are your favorite brands?
I get most of my clothes from second hand and charity shops; I try to shop as little as possible on the high street-I find it's either too overpriced, or it's so cheap that those making it could not have possibly been paid a fair wage for it. I go to a lot of jumble sales too-I'm one of those scary girls knocking people out of the way and grabbing all the best stuff-I apologise if you've ever encountered me at a jumble sale, but just know that I'm not usually so mean!

photo

Congratulations again to Carys for winning the contest. Stay tuned for more fashion inspirations from Carys!

No comments:

Post a Comment