Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Italian and New Yorker Influence :: Claudia Paola

Claudia is the contest winner at Mode Republic! Let’s learn more about her.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I was born in New York City, and I grew up living between Rome, Italy and NYC. I still live straddling the Atlantic, splitting my time equally between the two cities. I was always more artistically inclined (I loved to draw, act, and I played classical piano for about 10 years), but I was the type that focused most of my attention on the academic responsibilities of school. In college, I studied Middle Eastern Studies and the Arabic Language for 6 years and I got my Masters Degree in Near Eastern Studies. I love languages so much, and Arabic is so beautiful! I really love the culture and the people, and I think growing up bilingual (Italian-English) helped me a lot. For a while there, I thought I would continue in an academic direction, but after I graduated, my parents encouraged me to take some time off to explore other things and return to my artsy hobbies, and it's then that I got into blogging full-time; I'm now looking forward to getting back into my music, too!

photo

How did you become interested in fashion?
Well, being from Rome and New York, two very fashion-oriented cities, I couldn't help but be attracted to it. Fashion was always a fun distraction for me, but I really became "officially" interested when I went to college. I attended NYU, and though my studies were not related to the fashion world, just walking around the campus was like looking at a live fashion show. Greenwich Village is so full of unique street style, and everyone is so expressive and creative with their clothes that I really became obsessed with studying people's individual flair and trying to spot the latest trends. It was then I started to read fashion blogs and magazines like NYLON, and to browse fashion sites, which drove me to try and find an identity for myself through my clothes. It's like an inner urge, and putting the outfits together and wearing them is such a release.

photo

What inspired you to start your own blog?
My mom had been encouraging me for a few years to start my own blog. She had started reading food blogs, and seeing as I loved fashion, she thought it would be a great outlet for me to start my own blog. At the time, I was too entrenched in my studies, but I got my feet wet toward the end of grad school when my really good friend started a nail blog (we'd taken to browsing nail reviews as a way to distract ourselves while writing out thesis- my friend decided we might as well start writing our own nail polish reviews, too). The summer I graduated, with my studies behind me and my future ahead of me, I figured I might as well take my mom up on her suggestion and start "Molto Fashion". Once I started blogging, I loved it so much, I couldn't stop.

photo

What are your dreams and aspirations?
To continue along a path where I feel inspired and can keep doing what makes me happiest, while meeting really great people along the way.

photo

How would you describe your style? What’s your favorite look at this moment?
I always have a hard time labeling, but my favorite inspiration is Victorian/Art Nouveau, the bohemian gypsy 1970s, and the gothic/grunge 1990s. So if I had to describe it, I'd say: if you crossed Daria with Wednesday Adams with Stevie Nicks, I'd pop up.

My favorite look at the moment is "Watch out for the weirdos, girls." I am in love with the tones (cream and black are my favorite combo), and I was so pleased that their intensity came through in the photos. Plus, I was trying to capture some 90's vibes, especially with the crochet-knit top. I thought I'd top it off with a title that could add to the mood of the post, a quote from one of my all-time favorite movies, "The Craft," a time-capsule of all good things '90s, especially the fashion. I'm always looking to revisit those days!

photo

Where do you get your fashion inspirations?
I get most of my fashion inspiration from people on the street; it's like a living Tumblr blog in real time. I also am really inspired by my surroundings: flowers, architecture, antique items lying around my house, and just New York and Rome in general. I'm beginning to realize how influential my environment and upbringing have been to me, and how it's helped me to cultivate an eye for certain details and to visualize things a certain way. Hopefully I convey what I see and how I see it on my blog.

photo

Where do you shop? What are your favorite brands?
Most of my clothes are from Urban Outfitters (I love that store; I could buy out the whole thing! And plus, they always have great sales, and I'm a big fan of shopping sales.) I also shop a lot at H&M, Anthropologie, and Free People, as well as online vintage shops (mainly on Etsy). But my number one style trick is to shop in my own closet (as well as my dad's closet, my mom's closet, my grandmother's closet…) After all, what's old is always new again.

photo

Congratulations again to Claudia for winning the Mode Republic Contest! Stay tuned for more fashion inspirations from Claudia!

1 comment: