Friday, October 29, 2010

One Haute Mess :: Marilyn

Marilyn eats, sleeps, breathes, bleeds and lives fashion, photography, art, music, food and extreme sports. Let’s learn more about her!

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Marilyn Nguyen and I’m from Orange County, California. I am currently studying Marketing at CSUF. I love to get out as much as I can and be active. I enjoy going to the beach, surfing, snowboarding, and any fun or extreme activities. I have an obsession with shoes and accessories! My friends would tell me that I have a problem and I should seek help. HA HA! I also spend a large portion of my time browsing local shops, boutiques and retail stores for any new clothes that I can incorporate into a new outfit.



How did you become interested in fashion?
As long as I can remember, I’ve always been into fashion one way or another. As a kid, I loved diving into my mom’s closet and dressing myself up in her clothes, although they didn’t quite have the same look back then and the fit was a little less than perfect.

photo

More recently, I have found myself transferring most of my paychecks directly to store purchases and ending up with one closet full of clothes after another. I really enjoy experimenting with different looks and styles. I love dressing up my younger sister and friends, and I often find myself donating items of clothing to complete looks here and there.

Reading fashion magazines, blogs and browsing through new trends has also fueled my passion for fashion.

photo

What inspired you to start your own blog?
I’ve always wanted to start my own fashion blog and share my ideas, but I was too intimidated by many other fashionistas who has more style and creativity than me. After a great deal of persuasion from a couple of my close friends, I was finally pushed over the edge and I’ve been freefalling into it ever since. I always thought it would be great to have a way to track my own fashion throughout my life and see how it changed and progressed over the years. It has also become a great way for me to inform friends and loyal readers of any affordable deals on clothes and shoes that I come across. I’ve also had the chance to promote various fashion sites, brands and contests that I come across, and I’ve now had the opportunity to have my pictures featured on several sites! This will also help me build my portfolio if I want a position in the fashion industry.

photo

What are your dreams and aspirations?
My dream would be to end up with a lifelong career related to fashion. I hope to pursue something in the field of fashion marketing or merchandising, and I’m always open to suggestions, comments and help. I’ve also considered the idea of starting my own online store to provide customers with easy access to fashionable and affordable clothing. Who knows, perhaps one day my own clothing line?

photo

How would you describe your style? What’s your favorite look at this moment?
To be honest, I don’t think I could label my fashion as anything other than experimental. It tends to change from day to day and I love a variety of looks from punk / grunge to classy and elegant.

Currently, I have turned my sights to find cute grunge looks for the upcoming fall season. OR anything remotely close to Banana Republic, Stella McCartney, Gabriele Colangelo, Burberry Prorsum, or Hermes autumn 2010 look. :)

photo

Where do you get your fashion inspirations?
One of my favorite, personal fashion icons is Mary Kate Olsen because she wasn't afraid to take the road less traveled and put on the look less worn. But when it really comes down to it, I get most of my everyday fashion inspiration from other celebrities, designers, peers on chictopia / lookbook and my own imagination.

photo

Where do you shop? What are your favorite brands?.
I shop EVERYWHERE! From your local thrift stores to high end stores. I LOVE vintage shops and small boutiques, they usually have one-of-a-kind items that you won't see on anyone else.

Shops: Barneys, H&M, Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, Zara, G-Star, Anthropology, etc...

Other Favorite Brands: H&M, Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, G-Star, Zara, etc...

photo

Marilyn is both a contest winner and trendsetter at Mode Republic! Stay tuned for more inspirations from her!

No comments:

Post a Comment