Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Vintage Mavens: Shareen Rubiera

Shareen is our winner for the Summer of Love Contest. Before pursuing her passion for fashion, she actually worked in Capitol Hill! Let’s learn more about Shareen!

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I studied international affairs and politics in Washington D.C. It was not something that I enjoyed, so I left Washington and went to New York.





When I first arrived in New York, I interned at fashion magazines, such as Women’s Wear Daily (WWD). I also started to do freelance styling for editors.

I moved to Miami and was immediately impressed by the plethora of amazing vintage it had to offer. I used to go thrifting every week and find the most stellar garments. Starting a vintage clothing store seemed like the natural next-step.

I started Vintage Maven while being a freelance stylist and a visual merchandiser so I have a packed schedule morning till night. Even though I’m pretty busy, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I absolutely love what I do.

How did you become interested in fashion?
Fashion has always been something I loved. I would always go to the corner bookshop and grab a bunch of fashion magazine after work. I think I appreciate and enjoy fashion a lot because everyone can participate in it. Many people choose to use styling as a way to express themselves whether they realize it or not.



What advice would you give our readers in terms of working in the fashion industry?
Many people feel like the fashion industry is really glamorous. I worked harder in the fashion industry than any other industries that I have been in.

There are always tons of interns and a huge turnover. You need to go in with the mindset that you will work very hard. Very few girls can really make it and stand out.

What inspired you to start your own blog?
I never thought I would have a blog. I started blogging in April and absolutely love it. I think it is a great supplement to the store. The blog allows my customers to see what I do every day so I can connect with them more. At the same time, I get to meet a lot of amazing people that I would never have met otherwise.



How do you decide what goes in the store?
I like to carry a variety of styles in different price ranges so they are affordable for everyone. For instance we have simple t-shirts that sell for around $20 as well as silk bomber jackets that sell for around $150.




Where do you get fashion inspirations?
I get inspiration from everywhere – movies, people, places, artwork, magazines.

Tell us what your favorite outfit is.
Since I run around so much, I am a big fan of dressing comfortably. I am quite a tomboy so I would say my favorite outfit is an oversize vintage flannel shirt, disco pants and a pair of Jeffrey Campbell shoes.

Who are your favorite bloggers?
I really like diamondhorse.us and theSartorialist.com.

Finally, Shareen would like to thank everyone who has voted for her. She would also like to thank her husband who provides her the biggest support system a girl can ever have. With a loving husband, the ever-growing number of fans, as well as a background in fashion publication, we believe Shareen will be successful in any of her fashion endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment