Monday, April 26, 2010

LoverlyMiss: Rhianna

Rhianna won First Place in our Visions of Green Contest! Everything in her outfit was either thrifted, vintage, or sewn using secondhand fabrics. Rhianna believes that thrifting is a way of recycling and continuing a garment’s story.



When and how did you become interested in fashion?
I got a sewing machine on my 15th birthday and starting experimenting with fabrics and sort of taught myself to sew. When I was younger, I didn’t really want to stand out but I also didn’t want to look like everyone else. I wanted to express outwardly how I felt inside, and since I wasn’t good at expressing myself through words, I learned to do it through fashion. Doing so helped grow my self-confidence.



What are your dreams and aspirations?
My dream was to become a designer and have my clothes in a boutique, but I’m afraid that if I make this a full-time job I will lose my passion and love for designing. That’s why I’m thinking about becoming a buyer for a boutique.

What motivated you to start on online store?
I started my online store (LoverlyMiss.etsy.com) about a year ago. I had designed and sewn so many things that I didn’t plan to wear myself, so I opened the store to sell them. It’s also great because I love to go thrifting, and I’m able to sell those items at my store, as well. I just feel bad having a huge closet full of clothing that I don’t wear, so I wanted to sell it and have someone else enjoy it. I like having the online store, but I don’t want to do it full-time.



What inspires you?
I’m so inspired by anything vintage: music, furniture, dresses, old photos, and especially Audrey Hepburn. She’s so charming, lady-like, and feminine. She makes me feel like a woman.

I’m also inspired by photography. I think it says so much about the world and the person who is behind the lens. I would love to learn to become a better photographer.



Perhaps next time you decide to go shopping, consider thrifting. You might find something amazing (and you’ll be recycling, too)!

What are some of the greatest treasures you've found while shopping at thrift stores?

2 comments:

  1. She's really inspiring! Her winning outfit is <3.

    Pure love!

    I've never went to a thrift store, since in my town they don't exist, but I would love to attend one... Passing clothes to one another sounds awesome, especially old vintage garments!

    Definitely gonna give it a try!

    http://myfashioninsider.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her style and the fact that she buyes from thrift stores

    ReplyDelete